cannot get app to work / update / anything

Ask questions and get answers if you hit a snug or unsure how to set up your ride
mrcashback

cannot get app to work / update / anything

Unread post by mrcashback » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:42 am

***EDIT*** got bluetooth connected, but cant read or write or update fw

i have a controller i bought in 2017 and never hooked up, trying to get it working, but failing, cant recall details but i bought the biggest that was available at the time, maybe 15kw im thinking and based on prior messages i sent i believe i had to have a 48v minimum

it has a sticker that say rShunt 1.14 mOm

a black module that says "reachfar" which i *think* is the bluetooth module (unless it's built in), though, the two connectors that plug into it have the wires labled "alarm" and a gps reciever and alarm connect into that black module it doesnt look anyting like the BT module pictured in the support section of this site, it has a hard black square plastic case - it also has a much smaller circuit board dangling off it that has been encased in heat shrink, and a green wire hanging off it which im assuming is an antennae, but not sure if that's a key reciever antennae or a bt antennae

ive downloaded the app, hooked it up to a 48v power supply, and nothing?

no bluetooth signal, no wheel movement.

before i plugged the battery in, if i spun the mottor manually, the alarm chirped sadly, but it doesn't seem to do that now.
any ideas?

the black module that i think is BT feels like its a little warm but i could be dreaming about that

doesn't seem to be any lights or any other signs that its on/off or otherwise

I'm thinking i would have had to be pretty unlucky to have got a doa unit that I didnt install for 3yrs, but stranger things have happened, so putting it down to user error at the moment - how can i test what is/isnt working and is there something specific I should do or look for?
Last edited by mrcashback on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrcashback

Re: cannot see bluetooth

Unread post by mrcashback » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:54 pm

ok, i didnt have ignition connected, so now that i do i can now connect via bluetooth (though, not able to get any working action to the wheels yet)

trying to update the module from 1>1.24 it continually fails - any ideas??

mrcashback

Re: cannot get app to work / update / anything

Unread post by mrcashback » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:16 am

ok 1 step forward, 2 steps back
yesterday i had bt and a spinning motor, today i have neither. i see a red light on the internal bt module when ignition is commected, but thats it - how do i fix this thing.. nothings changed for me, it just doesnt work.... ive never eve used it successfully :( I wish i tried it when i first purchased it now so i could send it back

PVadmin
Site Admin

Unread post by PVadmin » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:15 pm

Please provide a complete description of your setup: type and brand of motor, battery configuration and how you connected it all together.

mrcashback

Unread post by mrcashback » Fri May 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Motor was from aliexpress and not branded, another forum user suggest it to be a qs205h50.
It was described by the seller as:
Hub Motor described as: 5000w Electric bike Motor
1x 19inch moped wheel with 5000w motor
Spec. for the 19inch 5000w ebike motor wheelRated Power: 5000W
Voltage : 48V-120v
KV : 9.3kv
Max torque : > 190N.M
Efficiency : > 90%
Hall sensor : yes, have two sets, one is for spare
Temperature : Yes
Drop out : 147mm

Battery is 5x 12.8v 12AH lifpo4 clusters in series for 64v, connected directly to the +ve and -ve controller inputs on a terminal strip, and the ignition wire i screwed directly to the +ve

I managed to get BT connection at first, though couldnt get it to read/write or update fw.

After connecting halls, motor spun no problem on a stand using the following configuration
Phase Y-y, B-g, G-B
Hall Y-y, B-g, G-b
(I wrongly thought it would work without hall connections initially)

other than not being able to program it, all seemed functional at that point, i removed batteries, charged them up, came back the following day, reconnected batteries and got nothing, no bluetooth, no motor action.

I disconnected the halls and phase plugs tried several times reconnecting ignition, making sure everything was plugged firmly and nothing (just a spark/arc when I connected the main power connections was the only sign of power getting in)

I took the case apart, and could see a red light on the bluetooth module labled "power" (at least I assume its the bluetooth module, it has a mini usb plug on it).
I also noticed that if I bumped it, the green light labled "L" would light up for a moment, if i held it it would stay lit up, and sometimes i could position it so it would stay lit up, so im assuming theres a broken or shorting connection, but don't really know

Ran out of time for the night, so packed up, charged batteries again to make sure they're totally topped up, came back thismorning, hooked it up, and now I dont even get the power light on the bluetooth module.

still no motor, no bluetooth, not in the app, not visible by any android, windows, or apple devices - any ideas what it could be, how to test/fix/get up and running?

PVadmin
Site Admin

Unread post by PVadmin » Fri May 01, 2020 9:30 pm

That Bluetooth is very old, most likely for a very old application that we don't support anymore.
If the module is not lighting up, it may be bad. Try to disconnect the Bluetooth from the board altoghter. It may be preventing the controller from running it there is an internal short. Chances are the controller will run after you disconnect the module.

mrcashback

Unread post by mrcashback » Fri May 01, 2020 9:39 pm

ok chopped it off but still no go juice to the motor

mrcashback

Unread post by mrcashback » Tue May 05, 2020 10:23 pm

Any ideas?
I tried measuring voltage accross the battery pack, and when connected it drops from 66v to 5v, hot off the charger.... is this normal? cells are all brand new, the only usage they've had was the 30 secconds or so the one time i got the motor to spin last week before the controller refused to power on

PVadmin
Site Admin

Unread post by PVadmin » Wed May 06, 2020 1:03 pm

That doesn't sound right. If the voltage drops that much, there must be something wrong with the battery or the controller. Is controller getting hot when you connect the battery? Check if you have a continuity between the controller batt positive and negative. When you check, it should show continuity for a few second while the capacitors are charging but then should go to higher resistance.

mrcashback

Unread post by mrcashback » Wed May 06, 2020 11:10 pm

with my multimeter set to measure resistance, with scale at 20k, it starts at 0 and counts up, after about a minute it got to a reqding of 13, though is stable at 6.42 now
With ignition disconnected it counts up to 1.2 with ammeter set to 200M

with it set to continuity, it counts up to 1567 after about 30 secconds (I have no idea what measure of units that's reading) with ignition connected
....with ignition disconnected it counts up to 1978

Batteries individually seem to run other equipment ok when i sepperate them into 12v

the voltage accross the terminals now seems to drop to 1.5v when ignition is connected and 0.8v when ignition is disconnected